Home About Programs Professional Development Financial Aid Information
Programs For Teachers
Subscribe to 360 Education
Signup for our newsletter to receive up-to-date information about online higher education opportunities for educators. Learn More

Grant Programs & Teacher Loan Forgiveness

Financial Assistance

Where can I find information about scholarships?

Information about current online Master of Education (M.Ed.) scholarships can be found here. Information on private scholarships for teachers can be found here.

The scholarships and scholarship amounts that you are eligible for, however, will depend on your degree program, the level of education you are pursuing, your experience, and the program that is the best fit for you. That is why it is important for us to put you in contact with an enrollment counselor who will work with you to come up with a customized degree plan that best fits your individual needs. When you click on your online degree program(s) of interest, fill out the online form so that we can put you in contact with your school and counselor today. They will evaluate your experience and background information to consider what scholarships and financial programs for which you may qualify.

Should teachers that qualify for Loan Forgiveness Consolidate their loans?

Title I Loan Forgiveness can be applied to Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized and, in certain cases, Federal Consolidation Loans. Once your loans are combined into a Direct Consolidation Loan, they cannot be removed, and by consolidating your loans you may risk losing borrower benefits that came with the original loan such as interest rate discounts, principal rebates, or some loan cancellation benefits. For more information and personalized consultation regarding loan consolidation and your loan forgiveness eligibility, please contact your loan servicer. To find out who your loan servicer is, and to retrieve additional loan information, please visit the National Student Loan Data System's website at www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/.

Which teachers qualify for $5,000 or $17,500 in Title I Loan Forgiveness?

Individuals who teach full-time for five consecutive complete academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools that serve low-income families are eligible for $5,000 in loan forgiveness. Individuals who are employed as a highly qualified math, science, or special education teacher in a Title I School are eligible for $17,500.

What are the two biggest issues that could make me ineligible for Title I Teacher Loan Forgiveness?

To be eligible, you must not have had an outstanding balance on Direct Loans or Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans as of October 1, 1998. You are ineligible if you are in default on a subsidized or unsubsidized loan, unless you have agreed upon satisfactory repayment arrangements with the holder of the defaulted loan.

Please click on the following link to view a full list of eligibility requirements for Title I Loan Forgiveness:

How do I know if my school is considered a Title I or Low Income School?

To find out if your school is considered a Title I or Low Income School, search for your school in the Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory here:

Will my credit or income affect my chance to qualify for Federal Student Loans?

If you have defaulted on a student loan you will need to be caught up on your payments and be in good standing with your lender to regain eligiblity for federal loans.

To read more about federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans and eligiblity requirements, click on the following Federal Student Aid links below.

Federal student loans: http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized.

Eligibility for federal loans: http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility.

What is a Pell Grant & how do I obtain a Pell Grant?

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree.

To obtain a grant you must fill out a FAFSA and meet the qualifications for receiving a grant. Grant amounts are dependent on: the student's expected family contribution (EFC), the cost of attendance (as determined by the institution), the student's enrollment status (full time or part time), and whether the student attends for a full academic year or less.

For more information, please click to the following link: http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/pell.

What is the TEACH Grant Program?

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program which provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a high need subject area at public or private elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families for at least four complete academic years.

What programs are TEACH Grant-eligible?

Programs of study that prepare teachers for high-need fields and lead to a bachelor's degree or are post-baccalaureate may be eligible for the TEACH Grant. Schools that participate in the TEACH Grant program determine independently which of their programs are TEACH Grant-eligible. If you are interested in learning more about the TEACH Grant Program, contact the financial aid office at the school where you will be enrolled.

What are the conditions of receiving a TEACH Grant?

In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students (see below for more information on high-need fields). As a recipient of a TEACH Grant, you must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant. IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of the TEACH Grants that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education, and you will be charged interest from the date the grant was disbursed.

What are the eligibility requirements for a TEACH Grant?

To receive a TEACH Grant you must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), although you do not have to demonstrate financial need.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be enrolled as an undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, or graduate student in a postsecondary educational institution that has chosen to participate in the TEACH Grant Program.
  • Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework. Such coursework may include subject area courses (e.g., math courses for a student who intends to be a math teacher).
  • Meet certain academic achievement requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25).
  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (see below for more information on the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve).

What is considered a High Need field?

High-need fields currently are:

  • Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
  • Foreign Language
  • Mathematics
  • Reading Specialist
  • Science
  • Special Education
  • Other identified teacher shortage areas as of the time you begin teaching in that field. To view the Department of Education's Annual Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing please click on the link below.

What is the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve?

Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve that is available electronically on the Department of Education Web site. The TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve lists the conditions under which the grant will be awarded, the teaching service requirements, and includes your acknowledgment that you understand that if you do not meet the teaching service requirements you must repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were disbursed. The TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve specifies the following:

  • For each TEACH Grant-eligible program for which you received TEACH Grant funds, you must serve as a full-time teacher for a total of at least four academic years within eight calendar years after you completed or withdrew from the academic program for which you received the TEACH Grant.
  • You must perform the teaching service as a highly-qualified teacher at a low-income school. The term highly-qualified teacher is defined in section 9101(23) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 or in section 602(10) of the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act.
  • Your teaching service must be in a high-need field.
  • You must comply with any other requirements that the Department of Education determines to be necessary.
  • If you do not complete the required teaching service obligation, the TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan that you must repay, with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.

Do TEACH Grants need to be repaid?

If you receive a TEACH Grant but do not complete the required teaching service, as explained above, you will be required to repay the grants as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.

What is Teacher Cancellation?

Teacher Cancellation is up to 100 percent in loan discharge or cancellation available for full-time teachers who have a loan from the Federal Perkins Loan Program and work at a low-income school or teach certain subject areas. Qualifying teachers are also eligible for loan deferment. Public service workers and other educational service providers may also be eligible for loan cancellation benefits. For more information about this program, and to see if you qualify, please contact the school that provided your Federal Perkins Loan or the loan servicer the school designated.

Who is eligible for up to 100 percent in Loan Cancellation?

Teachers must fill one of the following three requirements to be eligible for Teacher Cancellation:

  • They must teach in a school serving students from low-income families;
  • They must be a special education teacher; or
  • They must teach mathematics, science, foreign languages, bilingual education, or any teacher shortage area in their state.

Teachers, including those who teach students in a classroom, provide classroom-type teaching in a nonclassroom setting, or provide education services directly related to classroom teaching such as the services provided by School Librarians, Guidance Counselors, and Speech Pathologists are eligible to receive cancellation benefits.

Educators must teach full-time for a full academic year or its equivalent (one complete school year or two consecutive and complete half-years) to be eligible.

For more information, please visit the Federal Student Aid Office's webpage on Teacher Cancellation at http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgivness-cancellation/charts/teacher.

For more information about online learning or financial assistance, please call (866) 341-4273.